Vegan Breakfast Ideas
Different people have different reasons for being vegan. It could be because they are advocates of ethical treatment of animals or because they want to reap the benefits of a vegan diet. Being vegan means being on a plant-based diet. It is a known fact that increasing your vegetable and fruit intake has great health benefits. However, to fully enjoy these perks, you should be thoughtful about balancing your diet in order to ensure you receive all of the essential nutrients your body needs.
Here are a few benefits of a vegan diet:
- Vegan diets are richer in certain nutrients. Studies have shown that vegetables and fruits are rich in fibre, antioxidants, potassium, magnesium, folate, and vitamins A, C and E. It is important to base your diet around nutrient-rich whole plants and fortified foods instead of fast food options which may lack essential fatty acids, vitamin B12, iron, calcium, iodine, or zinc.
- Most vegans tend to have healthier weights. People who become vegan tend to lose weight because vegan diets tend to naturally reduce your calorie intake. Vegans tend to lose weight without even focusing on cutting calories.
- Vegan diets are linked to lower risks of heart disease. Fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, and fiber are linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Well planned vegan diets have a lot of these nutrients. Studies show that in the general population, vegans have a much lower risk of developing high blood pressure and dying from heart disease.
Vegan-friendly breakfast choices
It can be a challenge to plan breakfast without a hint of eggs or milk. However, here are a few breakfast ideas that are easy to make and are completely vegan.
- Vegan pancake and muffin recipes are easy to find online!
- Toast with mashed avocado and a tomato slice, a quick and filling breakfast!
- Chewy baked granola bars, a great grab and go option that can be made in advance.
- Smoothie: Blend non dairy milk, such as almond milk, with a frozen banana, greens, and/or berries.
- Non-dairy yogurt with fresh fruit and a sprinkling of chia seeds
- Breakfast burrito: swap out the eggs and cheese in favor of tofu, potatoes, or beans.
Here’s a full recipe for a tasty vegan breakfast to help you get started!
South Western Avocado Toast Recipe
- Three diced tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced.
- 1 T cilantro, chopped.
- One clove garlic, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sea salt to taste
- Two large avocados, mashed
- Four slices whole grain bread
- Mix all ingredients, except the avocado and bread, in a bowl.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread some pureed avocado onto each slice of toast.
- Add the salsa mixture on top of each slice.
Photo: By Jami430 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,
- by Russell Simmons
- December 31, 2018